Youtube is one of the very few sites kids always find easy to remember. For those who love watching movies and other types of videos, watching Youtube can become an addiction if left unchecked in kids. There have been complaining of low attention span especially in kids who have found watching Youtube videos as a compulsory everyday routine. Apart from wasting too much time watching online videos, the content of Youtube videos varies widely. One may need to restrict Youtube to shield kids from potentially mature content which could negatively affect kids. That’s what we want to talk about: “What is Youtube Restricted Mode?”
What is Youtube Restricted Mode?
Youtube restricted mode is a filter setting on Youtube which allows users or administrators to remove unwanted videos from their account. Youtube restricted mode filters videos using title descriptions, meta tags, and age restrictions to shut out potentially mature video content from Youtube video search results. Despite the efficacy of the restricted mode, sometimes potentially mature videos may still escape the restriction as the filter is not yet 100 percent efficient.
However, Youtube restricted mode does a good job of protecting our kids from being bombarded by potentially dangerous video contents. School computers by default have Youtube restricted mode activated. Since the function is usually activated by the administrator, kids cannot turn it off when they visit Youtube on school computers.
What is the Benefit of Youtube Restricted Mode?
Youtube restricted mode is beneficial for the following reasons. You can check them one by one.
1. Protect Kfgids from Illicit Content
Protecting kids from illicit content is also a means of ensuring cybersecurity for them. As parents, we may not be able to keep up with regular monitoring of our children’s online activities. However, with Youtube restricted mode activated, we can rest assured that our kids are not going to be exposed to potentially mature video content on Youtube.
2. Reduces Porn Addiction
Many kids get addicted to watching porn as a result of one or more encounters with matured videos. The sad fact is that the more they watch, the more they want to continue to watch. Youtube restricted mode can help limit kids’ access to mature video content and contribute a quota to reducing porn addiction in young people.
3. Encourages Child-friendly Contents
Not only outrightly mature videos are filtered by Youtube restricted mode. There are times when some regular but suggestive videos get filtered too. As Youtube content creators are aware of this, it raises the quality of video content that is released. Many YouTubers who want to appeal to kids must now make sure their contents are free from any form of sexually provocative content.
How to Enable Restricted Mode on Youtube
Youtube restricted mode can be activated online and offline. You can visit Youtube on your desktop or mobile phone browser and turn on the restricted mode by logging into your Google account and effecting the change on your Youtube settings menu.
- If you are using a browser, you can simply visit youtube.com. Check your right for the profile icon and click it.
- You will see menu items. Scroll down and locate Restricted Mode. Tick the box to turn it on.
Another alternative is to adjust the setting on the Youtube app that is installed on your device. This method depends on whether you have an android or iPhone device.
- Launch your Youtube app and tap your profile icon/picture which you should find on the top right corner of your device’s screen.
- Select Settings from the menu.
- Use toggle option to turn on Youtube restricted mode of you are using an iPhone. Android users should click General before using the toggle to enable or disable restricted mode.
What If the Youtube Restricted Mode Not Working?
As mentioned earlier, Youtube restricted mode doe not give a 100 percent guarantee of protection from potentially matured content. Sometimes you may have Youtube restriction on and still come across those bizarre videos. This means your Youtube restricted mode is not working. A good solution to this is to make use of Youtube restriction apps.
Spyzie is one of the most popular parental control apps on PlayStore. You can get the instant location of your kids, media files and call history plus Youtube activity. The app allows you to restrict access to specific apps on your target’s phone.
- It is very easy to install and use.
- Users can access the app via the web or as an app.
- Browser history is given in details (Date, time, site icon).
- Easy monitoring tool for checking if Youtube restricted mode is still active.
- The app may hang if phone internal memory is almost full.
- Some users observed that the app drains the battery.
Note: If you cannot enter Spyzie’s official website, please try to use other software.
iKeyMonitor is a very versatile parental control tool that is suitable for both children and teenagers. If your child is constantly finding ways to bypass restrictions you have put on his phone directly, you can use this software to hold firm against kid resistance. You can also monitor all the major phone activities such as media player, social media, Youtube and other apps. You can easily access your kid’s Youtube history to confirm that restriction mode is still on.
- Offers free account with amazing features.
- Lots of parental control tools in one app.
- Easy to use and navigate.
- It is not easily detected on the target’s device.
- The paid plan is quite expensive.
- Users can get distracted by lots of features.
3. SpyFone Parental Control
Spy is a popular parental control app that allows parents to remotely monitor their children’s online and offline mobile activities. You need to first fill a registration form online and add target device information to start using parental control. There are options to limit the use of a certain app for a specific time. You can specifically control access to individual apps such as Whatsapp and Youtube. You can turn on Youtube restriction remotely without your kid suspecting you. You can also get live reports on your kid’s browsing and Youtube history.
- There are lots of parental control options to choose from.
- You can use the Demo version to learn how the app works.
- The support team are very fast in response to inquiries.
- You can remotely enable Youtube restricted mode on Android and iPhone devices.
- New users may find using the app confusing.
- Youtube restriction requires the paid version.
With SpyMyPhone app, you can view your kid’s youtube searches and previously watched video titles and links. You can also monitor if Youtube restriction is still active on your kids’ device. You can also track your kids’ preference changes to see if he or she is trying to play smart.
- It takes very little time to set up and start using.
- The user interface is friendly and easy to navigate.
- It records detailed online and offline activities that you wish to know about.
- It works on your kid’s device without being detected.
- It is quite expensive to get the Paid version.
- May not work on older Android versions.
This is an awesome parental control tool that takes research and corrective solutions seriously. The app has a 10-day free demo that parents can test to see if the will work for them. Apart from knowing where your kids are per time, you can remotely watch and restrict Youtube video content on your kid’s device.
- Relatively cheap parental control solutions.
- Get newsletters on managing your kids’ cybersecurity.
- Very easy to navigate and use.
- The app works on most Android and iOs devices.
- Periodic newsletters may bore some users
- Confirmation email upon registration may sometimes delay
Turning on Youtube restriction mode will help save your kids from potentially mature videos. Use parental care software to monitor your kid’s Youtube video history so you can be sure that they are safe.