Have you ever wondered how to know if someone is on a WhatsApp call? Maybe you’d like to know what your children are up to, or maybe you wanted to check if someone if free, but didn’t want to interrupt their call? If so, you’re in the right place – in this must-read guide, we’ll walk you through all the steps of finding out if someone is busy on a WhatsApp call.
Now, while finding out if someone is unavailable might be straightforward, figuring out how to know if someone is on WhatsApp call without calling is a lot more tricky. That’s why, in this guide we’ll go over all the options available to you.
Part 1. How to Know If Someone is on a WhatsApp Call
There are a few different ways and options you have if you’re wondering how to know someone is busy on a WhatsApp call, some of them more discrete than others.
Way 1: How to Know If Someone is on a WhatsApp Call with Calling
If your question is: “how to check if someone is on WhatsApp call?”, the simplest answer is: by calling them. If you call someone on WhatsApp while they’re in the middle of another call, WhatsApp will notify you of that.
While quick and easy, it isn’t the most discreet way. The person you tried to reach will still receive your call, which is helpful if you wish for them to call you back as soon as possible. But, if you don’t wish to bother them and simply want to see if they are available at that moment, this way might not be the most helpful.
Way 2: How to Know If Someone Is on a WhatsApp Call Without Calling
If you’d like to find out if someone is busy on another call without notifying them, there are a few different options you have to find out if they’re available.
1. Use FamiKeep to Track WhatsApp Calls
FamiKeep for WhatsApp is a monitor app that lets you see someone’s activity on WhatsApp in a stealthy way. FamilKeep gives you lots of insights into the person’s activity, including who they’re talking to, the contents of their chats (including media and voice notes). What makes FamilKeep great, aside from its useful tracking features, is how secretive it it. The app you’ll install on the target phone will either be hidden or disguised as “System Service”.
It’s a great option if you’d like to find out how to know if someone is talking on a WhatsApp call. With FamilKeep you’ll have access to their call records and chats, so you’ll be able to see if they’re planning a call or if they’ve been on one through online dashboard.
Here’s how to use FamilKeep:
Step 1 Register an account with FamilKeep for free.
Step 2 Install FamilKeep on the device and set up the required phone permissions.
Step 3 Start monitoring the device from your account on the FamilKeep website.
Check out the guide on using FamilKeep for more details on how it can help you know if someone is busy on a WhatsApp call.
2. Guess from their online or last-seen status
If you want to know how to check if a WhatsApp call is busy without calling, you can put on your detective hat and try to decide based on clues that WhatsApp gives you. For example, if a person has been online for a long time but isn’t opening the last messages you sent them, they might be on another call.
Similarly, you can use their “Last Seen” status to determine their availability. Suppose their status suggests that they haven’t been online for longer than usual and, again, they haven’t seen your messages. In that case, chances are they’re busy on another call.
Part 2. How Does WhatsApp Call Work?
Another useful piece of information, if you’re wondering how to know if someone is on a WhatsApp call, is understanding how they work in the first place. WhatsApp calls are a very popular feature of the app and for a good reason. They allow you to make calls using only your internet connection, which is especially useful for international calls. Although you might pay data charges, if that’s what you’re using as your internet source, the calls are otherwise free. If you want to know how they work and how to use the different types of WhatsApp calls, read on.
Personal WhatsApp Voice Call:
WhatsApp’s personal voice call is a great alternative to traditional calls. You can call any of your contacts, regardless of what country they’re in, without any extra charges. As long as the other person is available, all you need is an internet connection.
- Find the right contact in your “Chats” tab.
- Tap on the voice call icon (a phone handle) in the top-right corner.
Alternatively, you can:
- Go to the “Calls” tab.
- Tap on the past call to start a new call with that contact.
- Or, tap on the new call icon on the top-right (iPhone) or bottom-right (Android).
- Press on the phone icon next to the contact you wish to reach.
Personal WhatsApp Video Call:
If your internet connection is stable and you’d like to actually see your loved ones – WhatsApp’s personal video calls are a great option for you. You can start a video call with any of your contacts or switch from voice to video mid-call easily.
- Find the right contact in your “Chats” tab.
- Tap on the video call icon (a camera) in the top-right corner.
- Alternatively, you can follow the same steps in the “Calls” tab as we listed above. Then, simply tap on the camera icon at the last stage instead.
Group WhatsApp Voice Call:
If you’d like to speak with multiple people at once, WhatsApp has a group voice call feature. You can use it to talk with up to 32 contacts at a time if you use the newest version of the app.
- Start a voice call with a contact following the steps listed above.
- Once on the call, tap the + icon in the top-right corner.
- Select the contacts you wish to add to the call and press “OK”.
Group WhatsApp Video Call:
You can also create a group video call on WhatsApp, although you will be limited to 8 participants, and you’ll really need that stable internet connection. It’s a great feature for when you want to quickly connect with your work team or family.
- You can repeat the steps from the Group WhatsApp Voice Call section.
- You can do so without hanging up if you’re on a voice call/group voice call and want to change it to a video call. Simply press the camera icon in the center of the call screen.
- You can also start a group call (voice or video) by selecting an existing group chat and pressing the phone handle or camera icon in the top-right corner. This way, you’ll start a call with the group members.
Part 3. How Can You Tell If Someone Is On WhatsApp Video Call?
Now that you know how to figure out if someone’s busy on a voice call, you might wonder how to know if someone is on a WhatsApp video call instead. The good news is, the answer is the same. That is to say, you can try and deduce this using their “Online” and “Last Seen” statuses. However, if you want to know for sure, FamilKeep is your best option.
Part 4. How do I Hide I Am On Another Call?
One way to prevent others from knowing if you’re on another call is to change your Privacy Settings with the following steps.
- Go to your WhatsApp settings and select “Account”.
- Tap on “Privacy”.
- Select “Last Seen” and change your online status to “Nobody” to hide your status from everyone or “My Contacts” to hide it only from your contacts.
And there you have it! If you’ve ever wondered how to know if someone is on a WhatsApp call, you now have all the steps you could use to find out. And if you're looking for the most reliable way to know what someone is doing on WhatsApp, be sure to check out FamiKeep.